Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fast Hockey; Faster Mouths

What terrific hockey! Wednesday night's Stanley Cup opener between  Vancouver and Boston, plus the Boston-Tampa final game, were two of the best hockey games I've ever seen.

End to end play, spectacular goaltending on both ends. Seventy shots on the goaltenders and only one got in. That with 18 seconds remaining in the third period.

This is the hockey we all remember watching as kids. I was sitting in front of the TV at home, but could smell and feel the excitement inside that Vancouver rink. I felt like a kid again, back in the old tumble down Port Arthur arena where people were hanging from the rafters screaming for the West End Bruins.

Impressive Wednesday night was the staying power of the teams. Full force hockey until the final seconds. Looks like we are in for a wonderful series of hockey games the way we want to see them played.

The only negative for me, and I never thought I'd hear myself say it, was I had to turn to NBC to watch the final period. I couldn't take that constant stream of chatter on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada broadcast. The colour commentary was non-stop and annoying. I don't know who was doing it, could care less, as I could care less about Don Cherry, Ron What's his name and the other talking heads. I'm there to watch the hockey.

It seems to be a sick trend in sporting event coverage. Fill every second with your own voice. Guys, come up for air, please. Hockey is a fast game and I like to have at least a few seconds to absorb for myself what is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment